LSE to be the New Home for Women’s Library
The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) will be the new custodian of the prestigious London’s Women’s Library collections beginning in 2013.
The Women’s Library was originally established in 1926 as the Library of the London Society for Women’s Service, led by leading suffragist Millicent Fawcett.
Its first home was a converted pub in Marsham Street, Westminster. Vera Douie, appointed in 1926, was the first librarian of the Women’s Service Library, and she managed and developed the collections until her retirement in 1967. In 1953 both the Society and the Library were renamed in honour of Millicent Fawcett.
The Fawcett Society ran the Library until 1977, when it moved to City Polytechnic, later known as London Guildhall University, and now a part of London Metropolitan University. In 2002 the collections moved to Old Castle Street in the East End and was renamed ‘The Women’s Library’.
The Women’s Library has evolved into Europe’s leading source of documents relating to all aspects of women’s lives, including but not limited to women’s rights, suffrage, sexuality, health, education, employment, reproductive rights, etc.
Find more information on the following websites: